Sunday, July 10, 2011

July 8th

July 8, 2011

A truly amazing day … off to Ng'Ombe this morning with Nina and Martha. Graduation was to be this morning and Dick had joined us to this ceremony and he told me to watch me teach. Nina began the morning and I let her and tried to support her as she had the children trace their hands and then write their names. Then in her kind gentle way, she looked at me and raised her hands as if to say it is your turn … so I did and of course it was the first day I did NOT really have a written out lesson plan but all went well with Read Alouds, songs, writing letters – all the lower case which is new for them & we did them all even though I was more than aware it was too much, it was my only and last chance … so we did them all and used the chalkboards we have brought through the years. It was amazing to see the children pick this up so quickly, it  clearly speaks to what Nina has been doing with them, absolutely amazing to see the growth she has made in these last few years.

Graduation with all the ladies crammed in the back classroom and singing as we arrived. Agnus then dragged me forward and made me dance and sing with her and I did my best – it was wonderful. Dr. Dick then presented the certificates and I took pictures to send them. Unfortunately, only 2 showed up the rest were in school, but there were about 8 who had graduated. They shared their dreams of becoming engineers which please Tom tremendously. Please also note that as I was in the classroom,Tm was hanging a ABC chart in  Martha's room and repairing a desk in Nina's while teaching one of the graduates to do so in the future. He is amazing.

Back to Nina's room and she said she had a surprise for me. She lead me outside and as we turned the corner of the school, she made me close my eyes, no peaking and when I opened them JULIETTE MAWELE was standing in front of me and we hugged as I cried. We hugged more and then she presented ME with a gift … a crocheted bag and change purse that she had made along with a letter to be read later. Once again, I was deeply touched. She is now in 9th grade and doing well but I learned later in her letter that she needs funding to take her exam and pass to the 10th Grade. I simply could not let go of her and am so very proud. 

If this was not enough,Nina insisted she also had something for me and quickly returned to her home to bring both Dick and I a gift, pottery that she  had made as she apologized for not having something for Lucia. Nina gave me a chicken that was hollow underneath, a place for three chicks that wentBwith it and that fit under the mother – I give one chick to Lucia and will also give one to Tom.

No, the day is not done yet … back to the Guest House and then off to Garden Compound to teacher the ladies how to knit. They really knew how, but I was able to take them some yarn, show them how to crochet a flower and the 'drop-knit' scarf that is so easy and they were so impressed. Quick stop at the Guest House and off to Mandevu to go to Kabangwe Farm which they work and are in  the process of building a place to raise pigs as well. It is huge and we did a good bit of  walking through the cinders – they burn the fields to get rid of the snakes and rats. Not much growing now, although the onions have just begun and more to come as they begin to replant later this month. They walk to this farm twice weekly and those are 16 hour days with no food. They grow peanuts for the peanut butter they make, maize for the nshma they grind it into and they also sew uniforms for several schools to make money for their children. They are amazing ladies. After the Farm, Mrs. Teressa Banda took us back to her home and presented me with a beautiful piece of cloth, finished edges for a chitange, skirt and again on this day I was deeply touched and it is truly lovely with the bonus that she taught me to tie it which I have never really understood. Her home was filled with lovely pieces of crocheted doilies and I will definitely bring her or get to her more of the string to do this. They are magnificent.

Finally back to the Guest house and I collapsed for a nap  - an unbelievable day.

No comments:

Post a Comment